Scope of a Materials Manager
is responsible for all aspects of procurement functions
including source selection, material planning and logistics,
supplier relationship management administration, and purchase
order processing/tracking for production materials and indirect
supplies, services and equipment purchasing. All materials,
supplies, services and equipment purchases are to be executed
efficiently for the best total cost management, which includes
supplier delivery performance, quality, cost, and service. The
position is further responsible for the development of
continually improving procurement strategies in cooperation with
the management team and peers of the successful candidate.
a. Essential Job Functions:
* Secures and analyzes competitive quotations, negotiates
prices and terms, and recommends suppliers with respect to
cost, quality, and delivery performance competitiveness.
All sourcing decisions will consider suppliers' service
and abilities to further the companies' strategic
* Coordinates and analyzes material forecasts for
efficient and timely replenishment while managing;
* A consistent flow of material receipts.
* Increasing inventory turns.
* Reducing inventory
* Initiates and administers purchase orders, blanket
purchase orders and amendments for products, materials,
supplies, equipment and services.
Coordinate acquisition of samples to support source
selection activities and /or provide for first article
inspections. Provide close coordination with production,
fulfillment, and other requesting peers/departments to
assure timely execution and delivery of required
* Works closely with peers and management to implement and
continually improve procurement strategies and processes.
* Studies market prices and trends, engineering
developments, and manufacturing /fulfillment method
improvements and advises company activities with the
concurrence of Director, Procurement and Contracts.
Performs competitive analysis to determine best industry
practices for competitive advantage.
Interviews and communicates with current and prospective
suppliers to determine the following capabilities :
* Tracks and reports suppliers' and the department's
performance against established metrics. Performs root
cause analysis in cooperation with peer departments and
management to correct problems and/or improve performance
against all measurements.
* Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
* Personal computer skills are required. Experience in
MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is strongly
* In depth knowledge of purchasing and accounting
processes and practices is required.
* Must have excellent verbal and written communication
skills. Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead
people and get results through others.
c. Educational Requirements:
* Bachelors degree in business administration with two
(2) years of
progressively responsible purchasing and
materials control experience or an
equivalent combination of education and